2019 Oxnard murder still unsolved, more news from Ventura County

Here is a roundup of recent incidents and announcements from Ventura County and regional agencies:

Help sought in murder case of 3-year-old child

OXNARD — Authorities in Oxnard are hoping the public can help them move forward with an unsolved murder from 2019.

On October 5, 2019, Richard Madera, 32, was fatally shot while standing outside his home in the 3000 block of Merced Place at around 9:30 p.m., according to the Oxnard Police Department. The block is south of Channel Islands Boulevard and generally west of Rice Avenue in the Diamond Bar area.

He was shot multiple times and died at the scene.

Madera had been a chef at A-Burger, 155 S. Oxnard Blvd., and was a hardworking family man with a good sense of humor, his relatives told the Star. He was born and raised in Oxnard and played football at Oxnard High School, they said.

He left behind a loving family and three young children, police officials said.

At the time of the shooting, police said there was no indication he had been involved in a fight. They offered no motive for the crime.

Richard Madera, 32, a victim of an unsolved 2019 murder in Oxnard, was head chef at A-Burger on Oxnard Boulevard.

On Wednesday, the third anniversary of the murder, the police department released a statement asking for the public’s help in the case.

The city is offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in a homicide case.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Justin Songer at 805-385-7680.

You may also submit information anonymously through the department’s website at oxnardpd.org by by clicking on “report suspicious activity” link.

Anonymous tips may also be submitted to Ventura County Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 or online at venturacountycrimestoppers.org.

A cyclist stabbed

VENTURA – A cyclist was stabbed while riding along Ventura Avenue Friday morning, the Ventura Police Department reported.

The incident happened around 5:45 a.m. near the intersection with Fix Way, where the cyclist passed a stranger on the sidewalk.

The biker thought he was hit by the suspect as he passed, police said.

He soon realized he had been stabbed in the leg and was taken to Ventura County Medical Center. His injuries would be serious but not life threatening.

Officers searched the area and found a crime scene, but did not locate the suspect.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Sergeant Bill Dolan at 805-339-

4444.

Conviction of third burglar in Oak Park incident

VENTURA COUNTY — The third member of a so-called South American robbery gang that robbed an Oak Park home in April has been convicted of the crime, prosecutors said.

Alexis Aranguiz, a 43-year-old Chilean, was sentenced in Ventura County Superior Court on Thursday to two years in state prison, District Attorney Erik Nasarenko’s office said.

His co-defendants, Oscar Andres Salazar Perez, 25, and Franco Antonio Vasquez Soto, 21, also from Chile, had previously received the same sentence. The three men pleaded guilty to charges of residential burglary and first-degree conspiracy.

The burglary took place on April 1 at Key Largo Court. The owner returned while the crime was in progress and ended up preying on one of the suspects, authorities said, keeping him at the scene until Ventura County sheriff’s deputies arrived.

The house had been ransacked, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement, and Aranguiz was carrying several items belonging to the owner.

“Today’s sentencing is the latest example of our work to stop South American robbery groups from coming to Ventura County to prey on our residents,” Nasarenko said in a statement.

Assistant District Attorney Brandon Ross prosecuted the case.

Federal prison for phone shop thieves who visited Camarillo, Simi

LOS ANGELES — A 22-year-old San Bernardino County man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison for a series of armed robberies at cell phone stores in Southern California, including Ventura County.

For subscribers:Embezzlement case against former owner of Borderline Bar & Grill moves forward

Tony Tyron Lee Stewart of Highland was sentenced in federal court in Los Angeles on Thursday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. Stewart, the main defendant in the case, was also ordered to pay more than $333,000 in restitution.

Stewart and his co-conspirators robbed 52 T-Mobile and AT&T stores over a two-month period, using sledgehammers to smash the windows, prosecutors said.

Crews wore ski masks and carried hammers into stores, authorities said, where they threatened employees and customers inside. They took phones, watches and other electronic devices, then fled in a car.

On January 15, Stewart and two other men, from Compton and San Bernardino, robbed several T-Mobile stores in Southland, including Camarillo.

After the Camarillo was stolen, the three men fled an attempted traffic stop, launching a chase that ultimately ended in North Hollywood, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Prior to the January 15 robberies, Stewart and others committed armed robberies between November 2021 and January of this year at stores from Orange to Kern counties, including Simi Valley and Camarillo.

Losses from the thefts were estimated at $293,444, with an additional $46,376 in damage to stores, prosecutors said.

One of the other co-defendants, Rayford Newsome, 21, was sentenced to 70 months in prison. The third man, Jerome Gregory Belser, 21, is due to be sentenced in January.

“Stewart and his co-defendants terrorized mobile phone stores throughout Southern California, traumatizing employees and customers at more than 50 different stores in just over two months,” prosecutors wrote in a memorandum. of condemnation.

The Los Angeles Police Department and Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigated.

4 suspected DUI drivers arrested

OXNARD – Four suspected impaired drivers were arrested at a DUI checkpoint in Oxnard on Friday evening, authorities said.

Three other drivers were arrested on suspicion of driving with a suspended license for a previous DUI, the Oxnard Police Department reported. Officers also issued 20 citations.

The department held a checkpoint from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Oxnard Boulevard and Wagon Wheel Road. Officers also conducted a citywide saturation patrol.

The checkpoints and patrols aim to deter motorists from impaired driving, the agency said. Funding came from a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Articles can be updated.

Back To Top