Driver flees bicycle accident on Elk Grove-Florin road
A hit-and-run personal injury accident occurred in Sacramento on April 21 when a bicyclist was struck by a motor vehicle. the California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the crash happened around 10:51 p.m. at the intersection of Elk Grove-Florin Road and Bridalsmith Drive as two cyclists were heading north in the bike lane, and one of them was hit by a white Ford 4-door work van. When officers arrived at the scene of the accident, there was no sign of the driver involved.
Authorities are looking for a driver in a bicycle accident
Sacramento Fire Department first responders arrived and determined that the bicycle the motorcyclist had suffered serious injuries. Crash investigators are looking for the fleeing driver and say the suspect vehicle may be missing a passenger-side mirror.
Those who may have information regarding the bicycle accident are asked to contact the CHP dispatcher at (916) 961-1300 or South Sacramento CHP at (916) 897-5600.
Careless motorists cause a high number of injuries from bicycle accidents
As more and more people use bicycles to get around, exercise and save money, the number of injuries and fatalities has increased. According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 30% of all bicycle accidents are due to a collision with a motor vehicle. Some of the types of driver negligence that lead to a collision with a bicycle include:
- Distracted drivingwhich includes texting, taking selfies or checking emails, is the leading cause of bicycle accidents.
- Failure to yield is another problem that leads to an accident with a cyclist. Nearly 50% of all bicycle accidents are caused when a motorist turns left and rolls right into the path of a cyclist.
- door crash occur when a driver parallel parked on a sidewalk opens their car door without looking for an oncoming cyclist.
- Ignoring California’s three-foot rule, which mandates the distance a motor vehicle operator must keep away from a bicyclist, causes a number of accidents.
- Drivers who carelessly exit a parking space or driveway can cause a bicycle accident as well as a collision with a pedestrian or other motorist.
If a hit and run driver can be located, he can be held financially responsible for a bicycle accident. Our investigators search for evidence to locate the driver by doing the following, which often has positive results:
- Investigators check the police report for any clues as to the identity of the vehicle and the driver.
- Cameras in the area are checked to see if the crash was caught on camera.
- The ground at the accident site is searched for paint and metal parts of the vehicle, which can help identify the make and model.
- The bike is also examined for damage that could help identify the vehicle.
- Accidental reconstruction is performed, which may point to a fault.
- Witnesses to the accident are interviewed. In some cases, a witness can identify the vehicle or even the driver. In others, a witness can remember at least part of the license plate number.
Using your insurance to cover accidental injuries
When motorists purchase auto insurance in California, they are offered a top-up to cover uninsured/underinsured drivers. Many opt-in for this coverage. Your uninsured/underinsured the policy can be used to cover injuries to your pedestrian or bicycle. If you do not have this policy but a family member does, this policy can be used instead. The prices remain unchanged.
Vineyard Personal Injury Lawyer
My name is Ed Smith. I am a Vineyard Personal Injury Lawyer. To find out if you can claim compensation after being injured by a negligent driver, contact us at (916) 921-6400. We can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or in line.
You can find out how our damage lawyers helped others on the following links:
We are honored to be members of the following groups:
:cd lo