Tour Guide / Shop Staff
Company / Organization
Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals
Are you passionate about cycling? If you’re looking for an engaging job with fun people in a small bike shop in Portland, look no further! We are young entrepreneurs looking to present Portland the way we love it, from the seat of a bike.
At Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals, we are a small, family-owned cornerstone of the Portland cycling community. Cycle Portland strives to support and inspire visiting cyclists and local commuters through quality repairs, guided bike tours and affordable, well-maintained bike rentals.
We are looking to add tour guides and shop staff interested in showcasing the city we love. As part of our small team, you’ll have the opportunity to advise travelers on your favorite local attractions and hotspots, guide guests around the city on our easy-going bike tours, and kick-start hand at our full-service bike shop.
This position is suitable for people who like to share their knowledge with visitors. Our Tour Guides interact directly with the public and are comfortable providing directions, route assistance, and helping clients plan their visit to Portland.
Although primarily focused on guided tours, this position will include driving up to two tours per day (2-5 hours of outdoor time, rain or shine) on our bike tours Foodie, Brewery or City. During your time at the shop, you will help guide customers through our bike rental process, answer questions about the products and services we offer, and keep the shop running smoothly. You will also have the opportunity to take a deep dive into our city’s history of the past, present and future as we strive to keep our tours engaging, fun and informative.
Part-time and full-time positions available, seasonal with the possibility of staying year-round. Semi-flexible hours; 20-35 hours/week. Must be available to work weekends, no evenings required.
$15-17/hr from (plus guide tip) DOE
Free use of rentals, 45% off quality bike products and boutique services.
1 week – paid vacation
1 week – paid sick leave
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Must obtain first aid/CPR certification within 30 days of hire
• Must be a confident cyclist and know or want to learn how to fix a flat tire.
• Ability to regularly lift bicycles and other objects up to 55 pounds, but reasonable accommodations can be made for qualified candidates
• Must be LGBTQ friendly. We encourage POC, trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, women and marginalized groups to apply.
Knowledge and skills in the following areas are preferred (but not required) and represent key strengths for this position:
• Genuine desire to work with and listen to the public both as a tour guide and as part of our store staff to meet customers where they are with their needs
• Excellent public speaking skills, comfortable working with and projecting in front of an audience of up to 12 people at a time
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Curiousity! We love discovering Portland and sharing that passion with others as the stories of our city and region evolve.
• Motivated and comfortable asking for help when needed
• Experience in the performing arts, previous bike shops, knowledge of bike mechanics and tour guiding, although not required, is a plus
How to register
Please send us an email with “Tour Guide Requester” in the subject line.
As part of your resume, please include two current references and a brief paragraph explaining why you would be a good candidate for this position, as well as your weekday/weekend availability.
For more information on Cycle Portland, see our website portlandbicycletours.com, visit our Facebook or Instagram page, or visit our store. We look forward to hearing from you!