A bicycle accident can seriously injure you and immobilize you for a long time, preventing you from working and thus bearing the financial burden of medical bills and loss of income in the future. Sure, you are eligible for monetary compensation for clinical fees and lost wages. You may be thinking about the type of compensation you are entitled to. Ultimately, your eligibility for compensation and the amount of compensation will depend on the cause of the accidentaccident scenarios, and the nature and extent of your bicycle accident.
If you are injured in a bicycle accident, it is first a question of seeking medical help and then of establishing fault and determining who is responsible. You are then entitled to claim the following damages from your insurer or the insurer of the person responsible:
Medical damages are a type of economic damages that can be calculated in dollars and cents, simply by looking at the injured person’s medical bills and expenses. Medical damages are easier to calculate and include the costs of all medical visits, surgeries, physical therapies and medical procedures, which are related to the injuries caused by the bicycle accident. This is true even when health insurance has paid for some or all of the medical care and bills of the bicycle accident victim. Some common medical bills may include expenses incurred by-
- Ambulance costs
- Hospital admission bills
- Physical surgery appointment
- Visits to specialist doctors and visits to the emergency room
- Hospital meals
- Body analyzes
- Travel costs to hospital and other medical appointments
Loss of income/salary
Like hospital costs, lost income is a quantifiable financial loss. After an injury caused by the bicycle accident, you can claim compensation for lost working hours. This also includes expenses incurred for specialist visits and exercise-based recovery arrangements.
How is lost wages determined?
Compensation for lost wages is normally determined by multiplying the representative’s hourly rate by the number of hours or days they cannot work. Calculating lost wages can be more complicated when customers are independent entities rather than workers. Bicycle accident lawyers are skilled in calculating compensation in such situations by predicting all possible outcomes and associated costs.
Compensation for emotional pain
Injuries from bicycle accidents can cause trauma and, in some cases, can even lead to long-term disabilities. Accident victims may experience extreme emotional pain, anxiety, PTSD, including medication side effects. This suffering, although difficult to prove, can be expressed in monetary terms.
However, unlike medical expenses and lost wages, agony and suffering cannot be definitively estimated. Several factors are taken into account when calculating the damage suffered by the injured due to emotional pain, including-
- The extent of the injury and its side effects.
- The expected length of your recovery and recovery period.
- How injuries have affected your personal life.
- The effects of injury on quality of life.
- The cognitive effects of drugs and whether or not they alleviate pain.
- Loss of society and missed activities.
- Your life expectancy and duration of symptoms.
- If you are able to enjoy the same professional and personal status that you had before the injury.
- Anxiety and fear of cycling developed after an accident.
You can also claim compensation for any personal property damaged in a bicycle accident. For example, your bike may be damaged or the fence of the house your bike landed in after an accident. Other items may include-
- smart watch
- Bike Gears
After being involved in a bicycle accident, you may ask yourself several questions:
- Who was to blame?
- What should I do at the scene of the accident?
- Should I go to the doctor?
- How will I pay the upcoming fees?
- What if I get fired?
- How do I start recovering money from my insurer?
- Do I need the services of a lawyer?
These questions are obvious and can cause a lot of stress. It is advisable to hire a lawyer at the beginning of your case and to take the best possible actions immediately.