Will the Wu-Tang Clan ever cease to be relevant? Not if State Bicycle Co. has a say in it.
State recently collaborated with the legendary hip-hop group on an exclusive collection of bikes, equipment and clothing. The Wu-Tang x State Bike Collection drops today, and it’s vast. Three bike models, enough accessories to fill a pro closet, jerseys, bibs and – our favorite – a pair of caps.
It’s impossible to go into the details of every product that has received the Wu-Tang treatment, but here are the highlights.
Wu-Tang Clan x State Bicycle Co.
As you’d expect, the honeypot here is the limited-release bikes. Three of the state’s most acclaimed buildings – the Clunkerthe Baselineand the 6061 Black label – feature black and yellow Wu-inspired trim.
Klunker ‘Killer Bees’
State describes the Klunker ($500) as a retro-inspired mashup that uses a beach cruiser frame, mountain bike tires and BMX bars. And in a way, this combination sums up the spirit of 1990s hip hop.
Hooded “W” grips and a full black leatherette saddle highlight the Klunker’s yellow steel frame and high-angle BMX handlebars.
State adds a bottle opener to the seat tube for kicking – you know, where you usually find a bottle cage.
- Frame: Durable steel frame and fork with 5 year warranty
- Handlebar: BMX style with 7″ rise, 30″ extra wide with custom Wu-Tang Clan grips
- Wheels: Extra durable 36h BMX style rim with CST Patrol 2.4″ tires
- Saddle: Retro style leatherette comfort seat
- Equipment: 42t crank with 22t coaster style sprocket for cruising
- Brakes: Coaster brake – just pedal backwards
- Pedals: MTB style flat platform pedals
- Supplements: Bottle opener included
- Sized for riders 5’5″ to 6’3″
The Baseline (complete: $450, frameset: $200) is perhaps State’s most popular and iconic build. People (myself included) go for the Core Line because it looks good, fits well, and is one of the most affordable singlespeed/fixie options out there.
The Wu-Tang influence in the Core Line limited edition is discreet. Preserved condition with an all-black frame, seat and grips, then punctuated the design with bright yellow hubs and some matching Wu-Tang Clan detailing.
- Frame: Durable steel frame with seat support brackets and cable stops.
- Dropouts: Horizontal dropouts with integrated chain tensioners
- Pair of wheels: Deep V wheelset with 40mm high flange hubs with sealed bearings
- Flip-Flop Hub: Features a 16T freewheel and fixed-gear sprocket – easily ride fixed-gear or single-speed
- Gear ratio: 44×16
- Handlebar: Choose rise bars with Wu-Tang handles (standard), or loudspeaker bars or drop bars with tape
- Brakes: Front and rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Platform pedals
- Saddle: Synthetic leather saddle with steel rails
- 4 frame sizes to fit any size rider from 5’0″ to 6’2″
‘CREAM’ 6061 Black Label
Status 6061 Black Label Version (full: $750, frameset: $400) is the premium option here—ultralight and built for agility. As for all his 6061 Black label bikes, this edition uses a double butted aluminum frame with a tapered head tube and sits on an Essor USA full carbon fork.
A light and stiff crankset with a 144 BCD, mid-weight wheels and sealed hubs make the 6061 a versatile performer.
The Wu-Tang’d-out 6061 picks up a similar pattern to the Killa Beez Core Line – mostly black with yellow accents and clever custom detailing.
6061 Black label Specifications
- Frame: Double butted 6061 grade aluminum with tapered head tube
- Fork: Full carbon fiber fork and steerer tube by Essor USA
- Dropouts: Horizontal aluminum legs
- Pair of wheels: Black Label Mid Profile Wheels
- Flip-Flop rear hub: Low flange sealed hub – easily hop up to fixed gear or single gear (with the addition of a freewheel)
- Crank: Black Label CNC Track Crank (170mm)
- Plateau : 144BC
- Gear ratio: 48×16
- Helmet : FSA No.42/ACB — integrated and sealed
- Stem: Oversized 31.8mm clamp diameter with ext. 90mm.
- Handlebar: Compact drop bar or wide riser bars with Wu-Tang handles
- Brakes: Front and rear caliper hand brakes
- Pedals: Includes alloy pedals from Wellgo with toe cages
- Saddle stem : 27.2 millimeters
- Saddle: Premium aero racing saddle
- Tires: CST 25c tire set
- Cut: 6 frame sizes to fit any size rider from 4’10” to 6’6″
State Bicycle x Wu-Tang Add-Ons, Kit, Availability
As for the fringe, State rolled out two styles of Killa Beez detailed leatherette saddles, jersey, bibs, roll-style bar bag, black and yellow Wu-Tang rods and rod cap, grips in “W”, handlebar tape, and even some custom Deep V fixed-gear wheels.
And to top it all off, State rolled out an entire Wu-Tang kit, which uses mostly recycled REPREVE polyester.
The Wu-Tang x State collection has been online since February 25. Wu-Tang x SBC Collection and get it.